30 Dec 2009

A day of churches, open and closed

The plan today was to visit some churches on Bodmin Moor. A last minute change plan meant that we decided to pop into Liskeard, so the only thing that changed was the location - from north of the A30 to the south!


The first stop of the day was Cardinham, a church I've visited before, but which once again was locked. Warleggan was next, described by Pevsner as the 'loneliest village on the moor'. The church is fairly plain, and set back from the road, with an ancient cross i've not seen before. St Neot was a short distance away, and a complete contrast, with wonderful window glass (but surprisingly no available church guides describing them). I've seen the crosses at St Neot several times, along with the nearby well, so didn't revisit this time.


St Cleer lies closer to Liskeard than I previously realised, and is a church I've not seen before. The guide book mentions a Green Man in the porch, but I couldn't find it. There was another 'new' old cross for me to see though, and I've seen the nearby well on earlier visits to the village.


Liskeard is an interesting little town, with the Pipe Well, a small museum and an incredible newsagents which sells more magazines than I've ever seen!


As we'd not yet eaten, we asked in a second-hand bookshop for cafe recommendations (I bought a new book on Prehistoric East Cornwall). We dined in the Fat Frog cafe, I had a decent breakfast platter.


Suitably replete with food and magazines, we set the GPS for our next stop on the way home, St Pinnock. The GPS contrived to take us the whole way via single track roads. The only part I recognised was when we passed the Traboe Cross on the Duloe road. St Pinnock church was closed, and I saw no old crosses in the churchyard to compensate for the visit. The same was true of the last target for the day at nearby Braddock, and so we headed back up to the A30, stopping briefly at Kingsley Village shopping mall.