6 Jan 2010

Deja vu

Strange day.

We'd been warned by the media about inclement weather - 40cms of snow. I awoke to maybe a 10th of that on the path. Judging that it would probably get worse, I set off for work, a combined bus/tube journey of some 8 miles or so.

Two hours later(!) I emerged from the tube station to clear roads and a light snow shower. Three seperate signal failures, and the poor weather (underground?) had caused a massive delay.

Despite being one of the closest to the office, I was surprised to find I was the last to arrive of those that actually made  it in. An email arrived advising that due to the conditions, we should consider leaving early, and working from home tomorrrow.

The snow continued all day, and by mid afternoon was settling even on the main roads, so I headed home.

On the way though, I'm encountering further delays on the tube, the journey home will take over an hour as opposed to the more normal 40 minutes or so. I'm currently typing this stuck in the tunnel, somewhere near Wood Green. At least the TfL Customer Charter means I'll get a refund for today's journeys. Must remember to pick up some blank claim forms when I get off the train!